Our graveyard has the remains of 9 men who served in 4 wars – French and Indian War, Revolutionary War (4) and War of 1812 (2) and Civil War (3)
You can take the tour in order the graves are placed or by war
Berry was born in the Scotia building on Charles Street. At his death Berry was actually a vestryman of Trinity Episcopal and only was buried here because his family bought a plot. During th Civil War he served in the Fredericksburg Artillery in Braxton’s battery. Badly wounded in battle of Fredericksburg, he transferred to Adjutant General in Richmond and served with Judged William S. Barton. He also served 35 years as deputy clerk of the Corporation Court of Fredericksburg under Robert S. Chew (Chew family served as clerks for 99 years).
Patton is a cousin of General George Patton through common ancestor Robert William Patton (1750-1828) of whom he was a grandson
He served in the Civil War as a member of Braxton’s Company, Fredericksburg Virginia Light Artillery. Enlisted in 1862 he was discharged from combat duty due to a disability, chronic rheumatism in late 1862. He was detailed in June, 1863 in Richmond as a clerk in the Medical Director’s office
His widow was a daughter of John Coakley, prominent St. Georgian. Patton was a merchant living at 407 Hanover Street.
He has the distinction of serving in both the Union and Confererate armies. He was engaged in naval battle at Hampton Roads on board the Patrick Henry. For the Confederates he later served as a paymaster.
Col. James Duncanson came to VA from Forres, Moray, Scotland in the 1750’s. He emigrated to Fredericksburg to go into business with his brother, Robert and was a merchant. In 1756 he joined the Virginia Militia and served until 1761 under Washington in the French and Indian War. Colonel Duncanson served under Washington in the Braddock Expedition in 1755, and was wounded in the throat so that he ever after spoke in a whisper. In 1758, he participated in the Forbes expedition to Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Thus, he is our only French and Indian War veteran.
He also served in the local Committees of Correspondence in 1774 during the struggles over the port of Boston. He participated in the Revolution, and was one of the wealthiest men in this part of Virginia.
He constructed the large brick mansion on his plantation in Culpeper County which was so long owned by his descendants, and which after the Civil War passed to the Barbours. It was known as “Clover Hill.”
Barton purchased Fielding Lewis estate, today Kenmore 1799 and brought 5 children to live them. Originally from RI and served in the Revolution War army and afterwards became a successful shipping merchant in Baltimore.
In 1802 tried his “immediate grounds as a subdivision”, including the mansion itself
In 1812 he helped develop Liberty town at the intersection of Barton and Liberty Street.
Then he was involved a 3rd subdivision at the intersection Hanover and Kirkland Streets, including both sides of Hanover Street extended, and included the 10 acre tract which became the Brompton estate
He was a trustee in 1799 and served on Vestry 1799-1802 until his death. He was cited by the Vestry in 1788 as a trustee for helping to repair the church. He was a dry goods merchant and a postmaster of Fredericksburg. His obituary added that he was gentlemen much admired.
During the Revolution. He served Virginia.on the Committee for Articles of Confederation 1774. During the war he gave beef to the cause and use of a stable.
Originally from Jamaica, he died Nov. 28, 1800. He was a Major/Captain in the Revolutionary War and retired as Major 14 Sep 1778.
-War of 1812-
He was a merchant, John Patterson and Company . John Patterson never married but lived with his sister, Mrs. John James, wife of Captain John James of Matthews County, on what was known then as “Gunnery Green”. Captain John James owned three vessels the “Contented”, the “Anne Elizabeth” and the “Delight”. Most of Captain James’ voyages were to the West Indian Islands from Cuba down to the smallest.
In the War of 1812, when the British were expected to land at Aquia Creek and march to Fredericksburg, John Patterson with a company of volunteers went to repel the invaders. He was taken with camp fever and brought home ill. He told Mrs. James (his sister) that he never expected to marry but that he wanted to live for her sake and her childrens. He died at the age of thirty-four, and had a grand funeral for he was very popular. John Patterson was borned to Saint George’s Episcopal graveyard by the music of the drum and fife playing the sweet mournful strains of “Rosalin Castle” and there interred with Masonic rites
He entered the army as a Lieutenant and “departed this life whilst in the service of his country on the 30th January 1815.” He was a merchant of which was written that he “offered best imperial tea sugar, coffee, french brandy, molasses, brown sugar, cotton cards”