Section - Section 1 ID -02
Death - 1752
Age - Unknown
Gender - Male
Profession - Tavern Keeper
Jones owned a tavern in what was called the “upper neighborhood”
“It was in the upper end of the town that an assembly of Scotsmen congregated and socialized at the neighborhood tavern of John Jones, who has the oldest surviving headstone (1752) in St. George’s Cemetery. Some were managers of Glasgow franchises. Some were political refugees from the conflict with England. Hugh Mercer (who came a bit later) and John Sutherland were doctors.
“By now, Col. Lewis’ store was established just outside the town line. Young Fielding Lewis and his bride Catharine Washington, a cousin to all the local Washingtons, were in a home of their own nearby. Married in 1746, his wife did not survive the birth of their third child. She died in February 1750, and in May, Fielding married his cousin Betty Washington.”
Jones could accommodate several lodgers. Source – estate inventory – six tables, 14 pewter dishes, wine glasses, china cups seven silver teaspoons . Widow Barbara continued the tavern after his death. At one time in 1753 she was reimbursed by the Masons for 13 broken glasses. Some time after she died, building occupied by Hugh Mercer for apothecary; his widow continued to lease. 
Jones’ tavern was at the intersection of Amelia and Caroline Streets. The block was destroyed in fire 1807.
Jones son-in- law Charles Julian opened a tavern in 1759 that became the meeting place of the masons until they met at the Town House. Julian’s widow operated a coffee shop there. It was the site of a luncheon in 1784 to which council and resident and residents escorted George Washington from his mother’s house.
1 Paula Felder –
2. Early Taverns Livened up Fredericksburg 12/4/1999.
Notes - N/A;