St. George Tucker Coalter Born June 2, 1809 Died August 19, 1839. [Small stone near John Coalter’s.]
Section - ID -86
Death - 1839
St. George Tucker Coalter (2 June 1809-19 Aug. 1839) was the son of Virginia Court of Appeals Judge John Coalter (1769-1838) and his third wife, Ann Frances Bland Tucker (1785-1813). Ann was the daughter of St. George Tucker, a noted lawyer, jurist, and law professor in Revolutionary Virginia, and through her mother, Frances (Bland) Randolph Tucker, was the half-sister of Congressman John Randolph of Roanoke. John and Ann Coalter had 3 children, St. George Tucker, Frances, and Elizabeth, but only St. George Tucker and Elizabeth had children.
Coalter was born in Staunton, VA, during the early period of his father’s career, and then was educated in Richmond, VA, schools. He attended the University of Virginia in sessions 2-4 (1826-1828), and spent the rest of his life as a farmer at his father’s Chatham estate in King William County, VA.
On 16 Dec. 1829, St. George Tucker Coalter married Judith (Judy) Harrison Tomlin (1808-1859), and they had the following children: Walker Tomlin (d. young), John, Henry Tucker, Ann Frances Bland, Virginia Braxton, and St. George Tucker Coalter Jr. St. George Tucker Coalter Sr. died at the age of 30 of an unspecified illness that had plagued him all his life. He is buried at St. George’s Episcopal Church, Fredericksburg, VA. Though he has only a small stone marker, he is noted in the inscription on his father’s memorial:
Touching this spot lie the remains of St. George Tucker Coalter, Esq., only son of John Coalter, who followed his Father to the grave before this tomb was completed. He died August 19, 1839, Aged 30 years 2 Months and 7 Days. A son worthy of such a father.
St. George Tucker Coalter’s three sons also attended the University of Virginia, John Coalter in sessions 26-28 (1849-1852), Henry Tucker Coalter in sessions 26-30 (1849-1854), and St. George Tucker Coalter in session 36 (1859-1860).
 Mr. Coalter gave to the Presbyterian Church when it was completed in 1833, a very handsome organ.
 Sue Gordon on St. George Tucker Coalter
Notes - N/A;