Here are 6 notable women in our grave yard:
Died at residence of nephew Anthony Patton, 407 8th Street. 74 years old. She was the last survivor of 18 brothers and sisters! Her father was Reuben Thom, postmaster for 30 years and long time warden at St. George’s. She was interred beside mother, father and other relatives
On her gravestone – “Few Females were more eminantly [sic] distinguished for correctness of deportment and…practice of all Christian virtues.”
Her husband John served in the militia as lieutenant under Capt. John Holliday. He Lost arm in battle of Camden and was taken prisoner.
John Chew, Esquire was appointed clerk of the Fredericksburg Hustings Court on August 6, 1767, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of the first clerk of that Court.
The Chew family held the clerkship of the Hustings Court, except for a short time it was held by W.C. Strait, under military appointment, covering a periodof ninety-nine years and eleven days.
She was a Smith, daughter of William Smith (1746-1802) and Mary (1750-1822) his wife, also buried at St. George’s and revolutionary war veteran.
She was president of the Female Charity School. It was created by St. George’s in 1802 and supported by citizen contributions. In 1808 Miss Sophia Carter of Berea in Prince William County left $10,000 for the benefit of poor females in Fredericksburg. The Virginia State Legislature incorporated it at that point
The Female Charity School exists to this day and the building still stands at 1119 Caroline Street at the corner of Lewis Street though they no longer occupy it. In 1860 governesses Elizabeth and Mary Vass oversaw 18 resident girls in 1860. Its male counterpart, located in the 200 block of Hanover Street, had by 1858 run on hard times. Its assets would be transferred to the Female Charity School after the war.
Her spouse Thomas Goodwin (1770 – 1836) is also buried at St. George’s. Thomas was a merchant and operated a hotel called the Rappahannock House on the east side of Main Street, between George and Hanover Streets. He was on a committee of subscribers of Mary Washington Memorial and fought an effort to have her remains placed at the Presbyterian Church.
She was a grocer – From 1807 – “The subscriber has on hand for sale opposite the Theatre the following _____Loaf and brown sugar, tea, coffee and Chocolate, cognac, randy, rum, gin and whiskey.”
From inscription “Her pious and dutiful life was extended to an honorable old age and closed by an exemplary death. Her charity had its ***** in religion. Her love of her neighbour was the genuine seat of her love of God. Her rest ****** was the fruit of her faith and she died in hope because she had lived a Christian.
She was the wife of Frederick Pilcher .”She was truly a good wife an affectionate parent and a kind mistress. Her uniform manners and exemplary conduct through life endured her to all that knew her.”
James Maury (3 Feb 1746 – 23 Feb 1840) was one of the first United States diplomats and one of the first American consuls appointed overseas. In 1790 he was appointed to the Consulate of the United States in Liverpool one of the first overseas consulates founded by the then fledgling United States of America. Maury held the position of consul for 39 years until he was removed from office by President Andrew Jackson in 1829.
Catherine was his first wife. She was daughter of Robert Armistead of Elk Creek Louisa. She died in Liverpool on the 22nd of May 1794 at age 39 but desired to buried back in the US. They had one daughter.