There were photos taken of Princess Anne Street in the 1920’s. This photo was a portion of one of those. While it is unfocused, there are details of the railing and Faulkner Hall. Faulkner Hall had a Dutch design in the front at the time.
Photographer is unknown but it may be Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) who came here in 1927. The amount of growth in the graveyard is noticeable. Reuben Thom’s grave (obelisk) is visible in the front. It is the 1920’s. A number of graves have been filled from mid to back sections presumably before McGuire Hall was consecrated in 1959.
Frances Benjamin Johnson , 1927 -The picture was taken just behind the brick crypt in the middle of the grave yard. Note the extensive greenery around Faulkner. Faulkner had shutters and the front, not shown in this picture, featured a Dutch front. There was no McGuire Hall behind Faulkner, added in 1959, and the walkway through the graveyard which was then added in the early 1980’s. The grade appears steeper in the current picture which may reflect the McGuire construction.
The grave with the decorative front on the left side furthest away from the camera is Anna Goodwin. The other three on that row (William and Mary Smith and their son) are still present. Several below Goodwin’s grave are still slanting in the same direction.
Other graves toward the foreground are present only in 2010 including some larger stones on the left. One tall grave behind the table grave, James Lucas, was not there in 1927. They may have been moved due to the walkway or relocated up when McGuire Hall was constructed in the rear in 1959.
This photograph was purchased by Terry Dorn and donated. The image may have been originally black and white and colorized. It was taken just west of the above photo.
We see more graves added on the east side of the photo with the table grave of Seth Barton in the background.
Judge Coalter’s raised grave is still prominent in the center. The chip on the left of the grave is present in both photos.
Also interesting area the crosses in the Patton enclosure do not have the crosses on the top.
The granite enclosure in the top left of the contemporary picture is not present in the historic picture. That dates this picture before 1930.